School Counsellor

What do they do?

Student counsellors contribute to and support the social, emotional and academic development of students. They also support families and carers of these students. Student Counsellors complement other school staff in promoting a safe and caring learning environment. Student Counsellors are professionally qualified. They may provide counselling to students individually and in groups. A student’s reasons for seeing a Student Counsellor may include worrying about school work, relationships, setting goals, managing time, or feeling “down” or “stressed”. Parents and carers may seek advice from Student Counsellors about their child’s emotional and social well-being. They may also seek information about getting help from other agencies. In the best interests of the student’s wellbeing, the Student Counsellor may refer students and their families to other appropriate health and welfare agencies as required. The Student Counsellor at Mary Help of Christians is Rebecca White. Rebecca is available for appointments each Thursday and Friday at school.

How do I make an appointment?

At Mary Help of Christians, students and their families can request an appointment with the student counsellor by:

  • Discussing your concerns with your child’s class teacher
  • Discussing your concerns with the Principal, Assistant Principal or Student Welfare Worker.

A Referral for Student Counselling Form must be completed and both parents of the student must give written consent on this form before counselling can be considered. The details you provide on this form are confidential.

Privacy & Confidentiality

The information shared with the Student Counsellor is kept private. If concerns arise about safety, the Student Counsellor must, by law, inform professionals who can assist with the situation. If you have concerns about privacy, please discuss these with the Student Counsellor.

What other supports are available in the Community?

There are agencies in the community that offer specialised counselling and support to young people and their families.

These services include: drug and alcohol, mental illness, homelessness, employment, financial assistance, disability, sexual assault, violence, criminal behaviour and family law matters. If your concerns relate to any of these areas, referral information can be provided to you. Local Health Services and General Practitioners are also a good source of support.

Other supports that may of assistance include: